Joel and his wife are the parents of three young daughters, and they want nothing less than for their kids to grow up in a world where they are valued for who they are and treated with the same respect they’re taught to give to everyone else. Joel also lives with his mother-in-law, whose health and well-being is always on his mind.
It will be Joel’s privilege as a father, husband, and son-in-law, to be an outspoken advocate in Congress for women and families, to stand up against Republican attacks on their rights and demand equal treatment and effective enforcement mechanisms. In Congress, Joel will fight for:
- Full funding for Planned Parenthood, a non-profit organization that provides critical medical and reproductive health services to 2.7 million women and men across the U.S. each year.
- A strong public education system that encourages girls to pursue every opportunity, especially in fields traditionally dominated by men, like the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields.
- Equal pay for equal work for all women and meaningful enforcement tools to make sure employers cannot continue to pay women less than their male counterparts for the same work.
- Every woman’s right to make her own healthcare decisions, period.
- Paid Family Leave, which allows all workers the ability to take care of themselves and their families when they need it the most without fear of losing their jobs.
- Improved incomes, to provide a living wage of at least $15 per hour to all low-wage and minimum wage workers, two-thirds of whom are women.
- Quality, affordable childcare for families, providing more access and lowering rising out-of-pocket costs, giving them an opportunity to succeed at work or school.