Joel Rubin is personally connected to the immigration issue in this country – as are millions of Americans. Joel’s great-grandparents came to the United States from Russia and Romania to find a safer, more prosperous life. And his wife’s parents emigrated from Sri Lanka to the U.S. more than 40 years ago. Joel’s is a multi-cultural home, one rich with diversity of heritage and perspectives. Every day he benefits from the welcome that our country has given to immigrants.
We need to pass comprehensive immigration reform that:
- Provides a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.
- Prioritizes family unification.
- Guarantees the same rights and protections for all workers.
- Makes our immigration system more efficient to help reduce current and future backlogs of cases and provides a clear path to citizenship for future immigrants coming to the U.S.
- And there’s even more we can do to support immigrants and their families:
- Increase access to quality, affordable healthcare for everyone, regardless of his or her immigration status.
- Pass the DREAM Act and finally give tens of thousands of undocumented children living in the U.S. the opportunity to go to college and earn citizenship.
- Improve wages by raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour.
- Stand behind President Obama’s executive actions to shield 5 million undocumented immigrants and families from deportation and expand the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.