Throughout Joel Rubin’s career he has been a champion of both protecting our environment and investing in renewable energy to address climate change. Joel worked on the ground in sustainable development as an Environmental Education Peace Corps Volunteer in Costa Rica, helping the rural village where he served to protect its ecology. Later, he managed a national solar energy program that also cleaned up brownfield sites while at the Department of Energy, in addition to having worked on climate change programs at the U.S. Agency for International Development.
In Congress, Joel will continue to be an outspoken advocate for creating a sustainable planet, just like he’s been for the past twenty years. We must do all that we can to mitigate climate change and preserve our environment by:
- Ending our dependence on fossil fuels and investing in both renewable energy technology and infrastructure in order to fully meet America’s energy needs.
- Strictly enforcing environmental regulations that protect our air and water from industrial and agricultural pollution.
- Reducing greenhouse gasses by passing strict carbon emissions standards that motivates other countries to do the same, and giving government agencies and the private sector the support they need to enforce them.
- Put a price on carbon emissions with cap and trade legislation to create an incentive for innovation and efficiency.
- Ensuring Congress does not overturn the President’s decision to stop the construction of TransCanada’s Keystone XL pipeline carrying dirty tar sands across the country, reaffirming our commitment to addressing climate change in concrete ways.